Monday, March 30, 2020

Representation !

Hi blog ! Hope everyone is doing well. Today I'm going to discuss representation in our film opening. While a lot of this won't really be portrayed in the 2 minutes we present, my group and I still thought it was important that we thought these things out to create a better opening.
Yara Shahidi Representation GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
The family in our film, the Costales, are Hispanic-Italian. While the film industry works to represent this group more every day, they are still a minority and vastly underrepresented. Because we are working with the subject of money laundering and framing, we wanted to represent this group because they are typically presented in film in that type of manner. However, in our film, they are innocent. Aria's father is Venezuelan and her mother is Italian. They both speak Spanish and keep both their Hispanic and Italian heritage present in the family. The family is wealthy and successful, but we wanted to make Aria's mother a powerful businesswoman, not just a rich lady who earns all her money from her husband. We wanted her to have a real Cher moment.
I Love Men I Think Men Are the Coolest but You Don't Really Need ...
We are also representing Hindu culture through the goddess in our film, Kali. Known as the Divine Mother, she is a mother figure to our main character Aria. She is also recognized as the destroyer of all evil things, and a divine protector, so her character in our film works to save Aria from the dangers her family will face.
Goddess Kali | Kali goddess, Mother kali, Durga goddess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Farewell

 This project has been a rollercoaster. Emotionally, mentally. It was super difficult for me originally, as I feel like I was challenging my...