Thursday, March 12, 2020

I did more genre research??

Helloooo blog I hope you're all doing well! Since I switched over from working alone to my group, I also had to switch genres. Previously, I was focused on the fantasy genre, but our film will be an action piece. So I had to compile some research on this genre in order to familiarize myself with the conventions and all that good stuff.

Action

Genre Conventions

This genre is characterized by a couple distinctive traits. To begin with, action films have a clear protagonist and antagonist. While our hero may vary from a human with supernatural powers to a scrawny teen, the hero is typically the center of the film and is working towards beating the villain. This villain, however, doesn't have to be a person. There are four subgenres under action that deal with the struggle the hero must face:
  1. Action-Adventure: Person vs. Nature
  2. Action-Duel: Person vs. Person
  3. Action-Epic: Person vs. Large organization
  4. Action-Clock: Person vs. Time
Additionally, action films tend to have a ton of, you guessed it, action. They are normally fast-paced and keep the audience at their feet. The action involved can be huge explosions, a simple fist fight, a character fighting against a cruel jungle, and so much more. These films cost more because they are heavily location-based, due to the fact that urban areas are typically a hub for action and require a lot of special FX, props, technology, etc. 
The target audience for action films are males aged 16-25, but they can appeal to anyone depending on the specific piece. Some are more violent than others, and some are just purely adventure films. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Farewell

 This project has been a rollercoaster. Emotionally, mentally. It was super difficult for me originally, as I feel like I was challenging my...